Saturday, January 28, 2006

Consult this blogspot wants you to think about:

1. The Sandman by Neil Gaiman - After all these years, I'm finally reading it. I started Volume 1 and own Volumes 2-5; I'll buy the rest of the story once I finish 5.

2. Ben Templesmith - I can't decide if I like this guy's art. He did 30 days of Night, which is interesting vampire stuff, and he's doing Fell and The Looking Glass Wars: Hatter M, both from Image. He's getting lots of work with good writers (Warren Ellis, Steve Niles), but, at times his scribbles and splashes take away from the story.

3. The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor - This book is a hit in the UK, but it doesn't make it to the States until Sept 2006. It goes like this: "What if Lewis Carroll didn't actually create the story of "Alice in Wonderland", but was actually told the story by his muse (the real-life Alice Lidell), to whom these events all actually happened -- but he got the story wrong -- and here, at last, is the real tale. " Image and Frank Beddor released a "prequel" of sorts via a comic book called Hatter M.

4. Mike Mignola's influences - I've been researching and reading everything that influences Mignola's Hellboy and BPRD comic books: H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, William Hope Hodgson, M.R. James, mythology, folkore, etc.

5. Gothic tales of suspences and Victorian ghost stories - After doing some research on M.R. James (referenced in Mignola's Art of Hellboy), I figured that I'd make some purchases to get up to speed on some key writers: M.R. James (of course), Algernon Blackwood (creator of the wendigo), and J.S. Lefanu (creator of the gothic vampire story)

Go in peace and consider yourself hip and cultured...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home