Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Consult this blog reminds you:

1. I told you the Steelers would win the Super Bowl - The best part of Sunday was watching the game with an old high school friend and then receiving calls from family and old friends all across the country. And even some texts from Li'l Bro in NZ. It was so much fun. Finally, Pittsburgh gets one for the thumb.

2. Ghost stories - I mentioned these a few entries ago. Mignola was influenced by M.R. James, and I'm interested in Algernon Blackwood because he's referenced by Lovecraft here and there. I recently picked up Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories by James and Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood edited by E.F. Bleiler.

3. Arthur C. Clarke - I'm on the cusp of taking advantage of Amazon's "4 for 3" promotion by buying four Clarke Sci-Fi novels: 2001, 2010, Rendezvous with Rama, and Childhood's End. Back in college, I read 2061 without reading 2001 or 2010--a mistake. Rendezvous was recommeded to me by a high school buddy when we were both freshmen. I never read it so now's the time to do it. I chose Childhood's End as the fourth because it's a masterpiece, so say the critics. I'll do the clicks later this week.

4. P.D. Ouspensky & G.J. Gurdjieff - Back in the old Beehive days in Pittsburgh, I met this ne'er-do-well who frequented the South Side store. I can't remember his name--it was a singular like Madonna or Moliere--but he mentioned The Fourth Way and In Search of the Miraculous to me. I was 17 and absorbing everything these caffeine creatures had to say. What did I know? I was impressionable, idealistic, intellectual, and thirsty for new ideas to explore. Truth: I don't really know what The Fourth Way is about, and I never did read Ouspensky or Gurdjieff. Well, I think now's the time to get them in the collection, at least. Do some thumb-flipping here and there to catch a whiff of what this coffeehouse bum was so enthralled by. Tune in later for more...

5. David Bohm - His implicate realities were mentioned in (a big part of?) Grant Morrison's third volume of his run on Animal Man, Deus Ex Machina. I think that Morrison tried his best to represent Bohm's theories graphically through the Animal Man storyline. I don't know if he succeeed because I haven't read Bohm (well, yet, because I plan to purchase a reader with the Clarke novels). But, what I do know is that Vol. 3 was great, totally lived up to the hype. This was completely unique story-telling as far as I've seen. Good stuff, and you don't even need to read Vols. 1 or 2. I didn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home