Thursday, September 11, 2008

Last night, I ate at the 5 O'Clock Steakhouse in a not-too-shady part of Milwaukee's West Side, straight shot from MBCo HQ. I enjoyed a very good medium rare bone-in ribeye with a relish tray (olives, onions, peppers, pickles, carrots), salad, warm bread, and two beers (one High Life, one Pilsner Urquell...you know, because I'm working at MillerCoors right now).

Two guys sat at the bar near me. It was payday because one guy was jawing loudly about how he cashed his check and was going to get drunk. He pulled out a stack of bills and bought beers and shots. Because he was flush with dough, he splurged on a couple of bottles of Pilsner Urquell, a shot of coffee-infused Patron, and some Knob Creek, which I think he drowned in Coke.

I guess I forgot that people still get paper checks, "cash" them, and go out drinking. The whole scene was bizarre to me, but only showed that there are still parts of life that I either don't understand or forgot about. Why would one "cash" a paycheck? I don't understand that. Then, go straight to a steakhouse bar to drink more expensive than uusal booze and then eat a $40 steak. What happens to the rest of the money? This guy mentioned a wife in a "I'm still married to her" kind of way and not as in "my ex" so I assume there's co-habitation and rent or mortgage payments to make. Did he then go to the bank to deposit the cash, or is his life purely cash-based? Can someone have a cash-based life in 2008? I guess so.

Anway, I highly recommend the steakhouse. Very smokey, old school atmosphere, and there's a little theater with all the food that comes before the meat. My steak was excellent: right temp, juicy, big, flavorful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home